
This past weekend we were all set to head to the alps for some camping, when we discovered the forecast was not set to cooperate with us. Instead of staying in Zurich, we decided we should get out of dodge and found a reasonable deal for a weekend in Amsterdam! Having never been there myself I wasn’t totally sure what to expect…I am not sure what I pictured, but obviously the red light district had some preconceived notions swimming in my head :)
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Amsterdam is so much more than just its famed red lights. It is instead a city full of canals, friendly people, international cuisine and endless winding alleys with great shopping and beautiful views.
One of the canals...We visited the Anne Frank House where she and her family hid during WWII before they were sent to the concentration camps where seven of the eight people in hiding eventually died…Only Anne Frank’s father survived, and he was later responsible for finding and publishing the diary she kept while in hiding. The actual house has now been turned into a museum – which I must admit was pretty emotional. Maybe it is just pregnancy hormones but I could hardly keep from crying while going through the exhibits. What an amazing story.
We also checked out the Van Gogh museum which I have to admit, was not my favourite…I know I am supposed to really appreciate the fact that I got to see his famous self-portrait up close and personal. And the Sunflowers, and The Bedroom etc. etc. I guess it turns out I am just not an artsy person!
While we weren’t doing the traditional sight-seeing, we were strolling the canal streets, the floating flower market, eating Dutch pancakes or Chinese food from China town (no decent Chinese in Zurich!) and we even wandered the red light district – which was not nearly as seedy as I had expected! The ladies in the windows were even friendly :)
The flower marketIn other news, the "baby bump" as everyone seems to call it started to show up in full force this week. I think I was previously in denial, trying to wear all my same pants and really sucking it in. I found out - this is no longer possible! When Andy took this photo he started laughing and kindly informed me that the automatic focus on our camera had focused squarely right on my belly....NICE!
LB does the DamWe’re currently in search of another last minute deal for next week – Bulgaria perhaps?? Anyone have any ideas? Will keep you posted!
2 comments:
sounds like fun! i saw autumn deals on swiss air for this weekend, but i think it is cheaper for thurs/mon flights.
How cute! The little baby bump. Can't wait to see you in full-preggy force.
Hope you are feeling well.
Miss you
xoxoxox
Post a Comment