Thursday, August 19, 2010

Perfecting the art of the temper tantrum.

I'm just going to come right out and say it. I blog stalk on occassion.  (This blog is particularly fabulous). The gal that writes this is married to a guy from WHS who was the "hot senior guy" when I was a freshman (some of you loyal followers may know him as Ryan Prentice).  I came upon their blog through a friend of a friend and I've been shamelessly stalking it ever since. I've never met the guy outside of like once when I was at a football game my freshman year and dug up the courage to wave at him because he was oh-so-cute.
Enough back story.  I should start by saying that I have nothing but respect for all you mamas out there that have only dreamy/beautiful/wonderful things to say about parenting, but I just don't think I can hang with you anymore - my kid has hit the terrible twos. (And, yes, I am aware that she's only 1 1/2).  I am thanking GOD at this point that she is nice to her little brother, as I am fully aware that it could be worse.  But little brothers aside, we've arrived at the point in Hadley's little life when if her day does not go exactly right, the only answer is a temper tantrum. 

For instance: Andy was pushing her in her brand spankin' new Fisher Price car that took him 4 hours and 15 minutes to assemble, and he committed a cardinal Fisher Price Car Sin. He turned "the wrong way". Why was it the wrong way? We have no idea.  But she screamed/cried/convulsed for over an hour about it.

Same went for when I offered her enchiladas at lunch (when last week enchiladas were her favorite food). Screamed/cried/convulsed until she could eat nothing but graham crackers.  And let's not forget the time I had to take my keys away from her to open the door to the house. God forbid we actually go inside, right?

If you had asked me 6 months ago if I thought my child was capable of this kind of behavior, I would've laughed at you. Laughed.In.Your.Face kind of laughed at you. There were so many tantrums today that it ended with ME in a heap on the floor crying so hard that it actually turned into maniacal laughter with mascara running down my face. (Gee, I wonder where she gets it...at least I saved my little performance for after bedtime, and at least Hadley doesn't wear mascara yet).

Please just read this post:  http://littlemisshadley.blogspot.com/2010/05/three-year-olds-suck.html  I had to read it out loud to Andy over an enormous glass...okay bottle of wine tonight because it helps me to know that I am not going through this alone. I wish I could meet this girl for coffee (with a shot of Jack of course).  I think I love her!

Tomorrow is another day, people. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

The Mitchells said...

Ok, you totally have me freaked out now! :) Thanks for the warning!