Monday, May 16, 2011

Balloon-a-Thon

Our ballon is the Touchstone Energy balloon with the white stripe.

This weekend marked the 37th annual Balloon Stampede in Walla Walla.  I'd never really been to this event before, and didn't get much of a chance to partake this year since two of the three days were totally rained out (we are drenched over here in Walla).  Instead of checking out the balloons launching, I actually got to (sort of) participate!  My friend Stacey asked me if I'd take her place in running the 1st annual Balloon-a-thon.  I love this kind of thing, have always loved organized races in general, so I jumped at the chance.  

Instead of your traditional triathalon (swim / bike / run) this balloon-a-thon was first a hot air balloon leg, then a 15 mile bike and a 5.8 mile run.  Due to the lack of professional hot air balloon pilots, there were only six teams, but it was a ton of fun.  Our balloon came in first by a long shot, but then our bike was just a touch slower than the rest of teams (in his defense, the other teams had somehow recruited world class road bike racers - these guys were decked out ala Lance Armstrong and our poor guy was out for a Sunday ride).  I started and finished the running leg in 4th place with a biker dude on a Harley Davidson escorting me the whole way (since they couldn't close down all the intersections for the course, they got each team their own Harley escort).  Overall we took 4th, but with our fundraising effort we tied for 2nd.  Andy brought the kids to the finish line and it was so great to run straight to the kids and scoop them up after the run.  What a fun event to be a part of!

Not to toot my own horn, but since I'm so excited to be getting back into shape after what amounts to nearly three years of pregnancy & nursing, I am thrilled to report that I finished the 5.8 mile course in 45:24 (a pace of 7:49/mile).  An improvement over my Bloomsday pace and a definite step toward the half marathon goal I have in mind!

Can't wait to run in this next year!

Above is our balloon during the race.  Sherri White, the pilot, is on the left.

No comments: