Friday, May 27, 2011

Rookie Mistake

I am so mad at myself and seriously bummed to say, that around 11:15 this morning I was sitting underneath an X-Ray machine and finding out that I have either a) landed myself with a stress fracture or b) gotten a pretty serious shin splint (a real shin splint isn't what most people refer to as a shin splint, it's actually the muscle pulling away from the bone and if left untreated, has all the potential to turn into a stress fracture). 

My X-ray was somewhat inconclusive, but stress fractures, being so small, don't usually show up on them anyway.  I've been ordered to rest completely for ten days and come back for a bone scan to determine rather I'll need an air cast or not.  Then six weeks of rest before I can slowly start running again.

This is like the biggest rookie mistake in the book.  Apparently, you don't heal as fast once you cross that bend to 30. The competitive athlete in me got a little too excited about my recent 10K time and didn't listen to the conservative coach in me that was saying "hey I think that shin needs some more rest". 

This is pretty much a six week sentence to rest any way you cut it, so rather it's a fracture or not, I'm out for the Rock n' Roll half in June...however, there's a half marathon in October that I have my eye on so stay tuned :)

No comments: