Coen Andrew Block
May 22, 2010 5:42pm
7lbs 5oz 19.5in
At my appointment on May 18th (39 wks, 3 days) Dr. Johannsen admitted that she was quite surprised to see me there, meaning that she thought I would've gone into labor prior to the appointment based on how far dialated / effaced / etc. I already was. Either my body is stubborn or I'm just very good at staying pregnant :) There was mention of putting me on the list for elective induction (on the basis of my rapid delivery with Hadley) but the fact that I would not yet be overdue and that it was not a medical induction made for about a 10% chance of me actually getting a call, so we quickly put that option out of our minds and continued to wait it out.
Throughout the week I had the array of contractions and various other exciting "impending labor" signs but it just wasn't meant to be. Saturday, May 22nd rolled around and we made a big birthday breakfast and fully planned to stay pregnant into week 40. Well someone was smiling down on us and I'm guessing it had to do with my best friend Robin working on the induction team at Swedish - because at 9:45am on May 22nd I saw "Robin Green calling" scroll across my iPhone and just knew it was a special call!
We got Hadley situated with Gramma J (my mom) and arrived at Swedish 1st Hill 5 South at about 10:15a. Robin checked us in, and by 11:30a I was hooked up to a low drip of pitocin. The contractions started pretty light so at 12:30 Dr. Johannsen broke my water. This got things moving and by 3pm I was dialated to 5 and requested the epidural. I thought long and hard about rather I would ask for it, and though I had delivered Hadley naturally, I made the decision to have a little medical relief this time around. I knew this meant asking for it on time this time if I was actually going to get it! Unfortunately someone next door to us needed an emergency C-section thus taking up the only anesthesiologist in the building...so at about 4pm (now dialated to 7) Robin called in the backup and Dr. Fritz had me numb by 5pm (dialated to 8cm). I was numb and feeling FABULOUS (honestly, why would you not go for the epidural? It makes labor feel like a litte mini vacation. I could've kissed Dr. Fritz right then and there). The epi did the trick it needed to do, which was relax me so that baby could get low enough so that I could dialate fully and at about 5:30 I told them I definitely needed to push. Ten minutes of pushing later and Coen was born at 5:42pm - it was in essence, a completely flawless delivery. I really have been blessed by my children, I do believe that!
It was amazing having my best friend and college roomate as our delivery nurse. We kept saying, it's not every day your BF checks your cervix or gives you a catheter...but hey, we're close like that. The combination of Andy and Robin as my support team was seriously wonderful, it was exactly what I needed and I felt 100% taken care of and feel that Coen is so lucky to have had his Auntie Robin deliver him to the outside world!
So there you have it. A perfect delivery for a perfect little boy!
Andy picked out the name Coen and we both instantly loved it. The name is of German origin - a little nod to Andy's Grandpa Clarence Block who was a full blooded German, as well as our three years spent in a German speaking country. Since Andy was the one to come up with his first name, I was allowed to pick the middle, so I named him after someone I love and admire very much!
Throughout the week I had the array of contractions and various other exciting "impending labor" signs but it just wasn't meant to be. Saturday, May 22nd rolled around and we made a big birthday breakfast and fully planned to stay pregnant into week 40. Well someone was smiling down on us and I'm guessing it had to do with my best friend Robin working on the induction team at Swedish - because at 9:45am on May 22nd I saw "Robin Green calling" scroll across my iPhone and just knew it was a special call!
We got Hadley situated with Gramma J (my mom) and arrived at Swedish 1st Hill 5 South at about 10:15a. Robin checked us in, and by 11:30a I was hooked up to a low drip of pitocin. The contractions started pretty light so at 12:30 Dr. Johannsen broke my water. This got things moving and by 3pm I was dialated to 5 and requested the epidural. I thought long and hard about rather I would ask for it, and though I had delivered Hadley naturally, I made the decision to have a little medical relief this time around. I knew this meant asking for it on time this time if I was actually going to get it! Unfortunately someone next door to us needed an emergency C-section thus taking up the only anesthesiologist in the building...so at about 4pm (now dialated to 7) Robin called in the backup and Dr. Fritz had me numb by 5pm (dialated to 8cm). I was numb and feeling FABULOUS (honestly, why would you not go for the epidural? It makes labor feel like a litte mini vacation. I could've kissed Dr. Fritz right then and there). The epi did the trick it needed to do, which was relax me so that baby could get low enough so that I could dialate fully and at about 5:30 I told them I definitely needed to push. Ten minutes of pushing later and Coen was born at 5:42pm - it was in essence, a completely flawless delivery. I really have been blessed by my children, I do believe that!
It was amazing having my best friend and college roomate as our delivery nurse. We kept saying, it's not every day your BF checks your cervix or gives you a catheter...but hey, we're close like that. The combination of Andy and Robin as my support team was seriously wonderful, it was exactly what I needed and I felt 100% taken care of and feel that Coen is so lucky to have had his Auntie Robin deliver him to the outside world!
So there you have it. A perfect delivery for a perfect little boy!
Andy picked out the name Coen and we both instantly loved it. The name is of German origin - a little nod to Andy's Grandpa Clarence Block who was a full blooded German, as well as our three years spent in a German speaking country. Since Andy was the one to come up with his first name, I was allowed to pick the middle, so I named him after someone I love and admire very much!
Coen [ 2 syll. coe(n), co-en ] Meaning: Brave. The boy name Coen is pronounced as KOWahN †. Coen is largely used in Dutch and its origin is Germanic.
Without further ado, some photos from Coen's (and Mommy's) birthday!
Getting the induction started:
Robin stuck around to transfer us to our room:

With a killer view I might add (like I said, connections in L&D :)
With a killer view I might add (like I said, connections in L&D :)
Our very first visitors (Grandma A & Grandpa Guy):
Proud Grandma Vicki flew in from Walla Walla:

Coen rocking out to Led Zeppelin...kidding, passing his hearing test with flying colors:

3 comments:
So, so, so happy to see the pictures and hear your wonderful birth story, Shannon. (I've been checking the blog so much waiting to see them!) What a precious family. He's just perfect and how about that for the most special birthday present?!!
Lots of Love and CONGRATS to your beautiful family.
XOXOXO, Janie, Josh and Emma
He is wonderful... you are so lucky to have Robin there. that is awesome!
Cant wait to meet him tomorrow!
blessed is an understatement! i would kill for your pregnancies and deliveries!
congratulations again; he's adorable!
welcome to life with 2!
Post a Comment