Wasn't my dad cute? That's us on my birthday (I think my 2nd?). I have to say I grew up with probably the funnest dad on the planet (and yes, I know "funnest" isn't a word :). He was always doing something fun for me, telling jokes, being the life of the party -- Like the time I came home from a weekend at mom's and he had bought a brand new (huge) tv and had rented Adventures in Babysitting for me to watch a dozen times in a row, and he happily sat through all of them just for me...The time I got grounded but the NBA finals were on and he didn't want to watch alone so he "un-grounded" me so I could come out and see the Suns vs. the Bulls and make homemade posters for our favorite team (that would be the Suns)...Countless trips to Seaside / Cannon Beach, OR and spending hours in the arcade collecting tickets...Being the manager (at the ripe age of 9) for his lacrosse team on all their out of town trips - San Francisco was our favorite...going to school with him when public school was out on holiday and helping teach his PE classes or take part in project week where we made our very own version of Candid Camera...The time he surprised me with a horse when I was 12 years old...and I think my favorite memory would have to be my first job when I was about 10 yrs old - working at the Evergreen State Fair at his espresso cart, he had the hook up all over the fair and everyone would trade me anything (ride tickets, face painting, cotton candy) if I just marched up with an iced latte in hand. He taught me how to run a mean cash register, and I'm still one of the fastest 10 keyers in the west :)
And now, as an adult with kids of my own, he's the "funnest" grandpa, always letting Hadley get away with all kinds of stuff that I know she will have great memories of as she grows up. That Grampa Guy, he's a trouble maker!
He's here for us at the drop of a hat (like this past week when he stayed with us to help get our new house / yard all fixed up), and we always know we can count on him in a pinch.
So, thank you Dad, for making my growing up years so fun to reflect on. I only hope I can give my own kids the kind of fun memories I have! We all love you Grampa Guuuuuuuy (said like Hadley)!

No comments:
Post a Comment